What are SEO tools and what are they used for?
Quick and to the point, it is any bit of software you can use to guide and enhance your SEO performance.
The more technical response? These tools are digital assets designed to elevate your website’s visibility on search engine results pages, driving higher volumes of qualified traffic to your site. They can be used to extract, analyse, and leverage data to build a robust SEO strategy that betters your competition.
Usually, these tools can fall into the following categories.
Keyword research tools: These are a crucial component of any SEO suite. They make it easier to identify the search terms that your target audience is using. By understanding these keywords, you can optimise your content and metadata to align with user intent. So, they’re pretty handy!
On-page SEO tools: They evaluate elements of your website like headings, images, and link structure, offering valuable insights to improve user experience and make your site more search engine-friendly.
Technical SEO tools: These go more beyond the surface, checking out the nitty-gritty of your website’s back-end set-up like site speed, mobile optimisation, and XML sitemaps. They make sure that search engines can crawl and index your site.
Backlink analysis tools: They’re super helpful when it comes to evaluating your site’s link profile. They play a crucial role in boosting your domain authority, so you can easily identify high-quality backlinks to pursue and get rid of any toxic ones.
Performance monitoring tools: These help you keep a close eye on your website’s SERP rankings and user engagement metrics. They offer a real-time snapshot of your SEO’s performance.
1. Best SEO tool for rank tracking
Semrush’s rank tracking is a vital part of its SEO toolkit, offering detailed insights into website performance in search engine results for specific keywords. Here’s a closer look at Semrush’s rank-tracking capabilities:
- Keyword Position Tracking: Track your website’s keyword positions in search engine results pages (SERPs) to gauge SEO effectiveness and identify traffic-driving keywords.
- Competitor Position Tracking: Monitor how competitors rank for the same keywords, gaining valuable insights for competitive analysis and strategy improvement.
- Geographic and Device-Specific Tracking: Customise rank tracking for different locations and devices to tailor SEO strategies for specific markets and platforms.
- Visibility and Traffic Insights: Get a ‘Visibility Score’ indicating expected click-through rates and estimate traffic volumes from tracked keywords.
- SERP Feature Tracking: Monitor various SERP features like snippets and local packs to optimise content and boost visibility.
- Historical Data: Access historical keyword ranking data for trend analysis and long-term SEO planning.
- Reporting and Alerts: Receive customisable reports and alerts via email to stay updated on rank changes and react quickly to shifts.
- Integration with Other Tools: Seamlessly integrate rank tracking with other Semrush tools for a comprehensive view of SEO performance and improvement opportunities.
Pros of Using Semrush:
- It offers a wide range of features for SEO, PPC, content marketing, social media, and competitive research.
- It boasts a large database for keywords, backlinks, and competitor analysis, providing valuable insights.
- Semrush features an intuitive and easy-to-navigate interface, making it accessible for both beginners and experienced users.
Cons of Using Semrush:
- It’s SEO tools can be expensive, especially for small businesses or individual users, with premium features requiring higher-tier plans.
- The extensive range of features can be overwhelming for beginners or those with limited digital marketing experience.
- The free version has significant limitations, necessitating a paid subscription for full functionality.
2. Best SEO tool for monitoring backlinks
Ahrefs is highly regarded in the SEO community for its backlink analysis capabilities. Here’s a detailed look at Ahrefs’ backlink features:
- Extensive Backlink Database: Ahrefs has one of the largest backlink databases in the SEO industry. It continuously crawls the web and updates its data, providing up-to-date and comprehensive backlink profiles.
- Backlink Profile Analysis: Users can analyse their own website or competitors’ sites, viewing metrics such as total backlinks, referring domains, domain rating (DR), and URL rating (UR).
- Referring Domains: Ahrefs shows not only the number of backlinks but also the domains they come from, providing insights into link diversity.
- New and Lost Backlinks Tracking: Ahrefs provides data on new and lost backlinks over time, essential for monitoring link-building efforts.
- Link Quality Assessment: Ahrefs helps assess the quality of backlinks with metrics like domain rating and URL rating.
- Competitor Backlink Analysis: Users can analyse competitors’ backlink profiles to uncover new link-building opportunities.
- Broken Link Analysis: Ahrefs identifies broken backlinks and referring domains, offering opportunities to reclaim lost links or find new ones.
- Backlink Alerts: Users can set up alerts to be notified about gained or lost backlinks or competitor activities.
Pros of using Ahrefs:
- It offers one of the largest and most up-to-date backlink databases, providing detailed insights into backlink profiles.
- Includes a wide range of tools for keyword research, site audits, competitor analysis, and content exploration.
- Known for providing highly accurate and reliable SEO data, which is crucial for effective decision-making in SEO strategies.
Cons of using Ahrefs:
- Although Ahrefs provides content ideas, it may not offer as comprehensive content suggestions as specialised content research tools.
- Data updates can occur at different frequencies. In certain instances, you may have to be patient while waiting for the most recent data to be displayed in the tool.
- Like Semrush, it can be relatively expensive, with essential features locked behind higher-tier plans.
3. Best all-in-one SEO tool:
Moz Pro, as an all-in-one SEO toolkit, offers a comprehensive range of features designed to address various aspects of search engine optimisation. Here’s a more detailed look at its capabilities:
- Site Audits: Identify SEO issues like broken links, missing tags, and duplicate content. Get actionable insights and recommendations to fix them.
- Keyword Research: Find the right keywords with data on search volume, difficulty, and click-through rates. Get keyword suggestions and analyse SERP for competition.
- Rank Tracking: Monitor keyword rankings over time on local and global scales.
- Backlink Analysis: Analyse your site’s backlink profile, assess Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA), and explore competitors’ strategies.
- On-Page Optimisation: Optimise title tags, meta descriptions, and content for targeted keywords.
- Custom Reports: Create tailored reports on SEO performance, keyword rankings, and backlink profiles.
- MozBar: Instantly view metrics, on-page elements, and link data while browsing.
- Moz Local: Manage local listings, track local search rankings, and handle reviews.
- Community and Learning Resources: Access a community of SEO experts, Moz Blog, webinars, and Moz Academy courses.
Moz Pro’s all-in-one SEO toolkit provides a holistic approach to SEO, from technical audits to on-page optimisation. The best part is that it’s suitable for both beginners and professionals.
Pros of using Moz:
- It offers a broad range of SEO tools for site audits, keyword research, and backlink analysis.
- It provides extensive learning resources, including the Moz Blog and Moz Academy.
- Known for reliable metrics like Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA) used widely in SEO.
Cons of using Moz:
- Some users in Moz Pro reviews have mentioned occasional lags or slower load times during peak hours.
- Moz’s keyword research tool can be slightly limited compared to other tools on the market.
4. Best SEO tool for on-page optimisation:
Yoast SEO is renowned for its capabilities as an on-page SEO tool, particularly for WordPress websites. Here’s a detailed look at its on-page SEO features:
- SEO Analysis: Yoast SEO evaluates your page content against SEO best practices. It checks for aspects like keyword density, meta descriptions, title tags, and the use of focus keywords in various elements of your page.
- Readability Analysis: Beyond SEO, Yoast also analyses the readability of your content. It uses algorithms to assess factors like sentence length, paragraph length, passive voice usage, and transition words. This feature helps in making your content more user-friendly and engaging.
- Focus Keyword Optimisation: You can set a focus keyword for each page, and Yoast SEO will provide feedback on how well your content is optimised for that keyword. This includes checks for keyword distribution, title, slug, and meta description.
- Internal Linking Suggestions: Yoast SEO helps improve your site’s structure by suggesting relevant internal links. A good internal linking structure can enhance user navigation and help with your site’s SEO.
- Content Insights: The tool provides insights into the most frequently used words and phrases in your content, helping you ensure that your content aligns with your SEO goals.
- XML Sitemaps: Yoast SEO automatically generates XML sitemaps, making it easier for search engines to understand your site structure and index your pages.
- Social Media Integration: It allows you to preview and customise how your content appears when shared on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- Advanced Technical SEO: This includes features like canonical URLs to avoid duplicate content issues, title and meta description templating for better branding and consistent snippets, and control over the site’s robots.txt and .htaccess files.
Pros of using Yoast SEO:
- Consistently rated one of the best SEO tools on the market.
- It boasts a very friendly and helpful user interface.
- Its advice and recommendations are highly accurate and straightforward to implement.
Cons of using Yoast SEO:
- Occasionally, the bulk editor encounters difficulties in locating all the pages and posts on the website.
- The pricing of Yoast SEO is a concern for some, as the premium version is expensive.
- Certain users have expressed dissatisfaction with the level of customer support at times.
5. Best SEO tool for those on a budget:
For those not looking to invest too heavily just yet, AnswerThePublic.com is an innovative tool designed for content marketers and SEO professionals. It offers a distinctive approach to keyword research and consumer insight gathering. Here’s a detailed overview of its features and capabilities.
- Autocomplete Data Analysis: AnswerThePublic uses autocomplete data from popular search engines like Google, Bing, and YouTube to uncover the phrases and questions users ask related to specific keywords. This feature provides insights into the search behaviour and interests of your target audience.
- Content Idea Generation: AnswerThePublic helps users discover a wide range of relevant and captivating content ideas by analysing search queries. It’s like stumbling upon a treasure trove of content creation opportunities, allowing businesses to address the queries and concerns of potential customers.
- Visual Keyword Research: The tool visually classifies queries like questions, prepositions, comparisons, alphabetical searches, and related searches. This format makes it easy to explore and interpret search insights.
- Real-Time Search Insights: It offers valuable insights into real-time search trends, keeping you updated with the latest shifts in consumer interests.
- Global and Multilingual Support: AnswerThePublic supports various countries and languages, providing users with search insights from different regions. This versatility is beneficial for businesses targeting a global audience or specific geographic markets.
- Educational Resources: The tool offers additional resources, such as webinars and a video course, to empower users in utilising the tool for search listening and content strategy.
Pros of using AnswerThePublic:
- Offers a free version that allows users to access basic features without any cost, suitable for initial research and small-scale projects.
- Excellent for generating a wide array of content ideas, addressing actual user questions and search trends.
- It conveys unique and visually engaging representations of search data, making it easy to understand and analyse.
Cons of using AnswerThePublic:
- The free version of AnswerThePublic has limitations on the number of daily search queries and the number of results per query.
- It lacks the option for users to customise their search queries or filters to obtain more specific and tailored outcomes.
- Although the tool provides a lot of insight, it does not offer actionable advice.
How do you choose the right SEO tool?
Picking the perfect SEO tool from the wide array of options out there can be quite a challenge. With so many functionalities and pricing models to consider, it can be overwhelming. So, where do you start when choosing the ideal tool for your needs?
Well, it all begins with a clear understanding of your SEO goals and requirements. Are you more focused on keyword research, content optimisation, technical SEO, or a mix of all these? Knowing your primary objectives will help you narrow down the list of potential options.
Once you have a good grasp of your needs, the next step is to look into the features and capabilities of different SEO tools. You want to find tools that offer a comprehensive set of features that align with your goals. However, it’s important to strike a balance between comprehensiveness and usability. Having a tool with loads of features won’t be of much help if it’s too complex or difficult to use effectively.
Lastly, think about scalability. As your business or project grows, your SEO needs will likely evolve too. Choosing an SEO tool that can scale with your growing needs, handling a larger workload or more complex tasks, will be a smart long-term investment.
At Social Gamma, our digital marketing solutions merge empowerment and expertise, driven by meticulous analysis and unrivalled insights that breathe life into your aspirations.
We embrace the art and science of digital marketing, combining data-driven strategies with human insights to create impactful campaigns that leave a lasting impression.
We’re big enough to achieve, but small enough to care.
Do you want to know more?
If you found this article interesting and useful, follow us on our social media channels to stay updated with our weekly digital marketing insights.
If you want to learn more about our services then contact us!